Education Management Information Systems (EMIS) is a Division the Directorate of Planning and Development in the Ministry of Education. Our mission is to provide accurate statistics regarding the basic education system in Namibia to enable informed decision-making.
Our primary product is an annual report of Education Statistics collected by our 15th School Day and Annual Education Census surveys, in addition to data collected by the Directorate of Adult Basic Education and Directorate of National Examinations and Assessment.
Our largest study each year is the Annual Education Census (AEC). This survey of Namibian Primary, Combined, Secondary, and Special schools represents a snapshot of the basic education system on the first Tuesday following the first Monday of the third term (meaning: within 8 days of the start of the start of the third term). Data is collected from every school including several topics:
- General school information
- Teachers and learners summaries
- Orphans and vulnerable children counts
- Dropout reasons and counts
- Class-group details including counts, media of instruction, learners' ages and home languages, and subjects taken
- Teacher details including personal and details, salary information, professional and academic qualifications, and subjects taught
- Physical facilities details including types of rooms, toilets, basic services (water, electricity, etc...), and teachers' housing
We also facilitate the 15th School Day Statistics survey which, in conjunction with the AEC, provides a good picture of what happens to the learners of a school over time.Find the information you need about schools, clusters, circuits, or regions!